Family Medicine Residency
Program Benefits & Highlights
Mountainside Medical Center’s Family Medicine Residency offers the following:
- An academically challenging yet supportive environment
- A culturally diverse community close to NYC and the Jersey shore
- Strong community involvement
- Up to $1,800 in CME money and guidance in accessing worthwhile learning resources
- Practice management training with emphasis on all aspects of Family Medicine
- Career guidance and job placement help
- Opportunities for resident leadership and self-governance
- A completely integrated electronic medical records system ( EPIC) Engaged community preceptors
Some of our many features & highlights include:
- A cohesive, dedicated faculty with decades of experience training physicians in Family Medicine
- Emphasis on preparing family physicians for the future including interdisciplinary training, health systems management and patient centered primary care
- Strong curriculum in Behavioral Health that is fully integrated into the residents' daily experience
- Real life experience with alternative payment models such as: Comprehensive Primary Care Plus (CPC+), Accountable Care Organization (ACO), and ClinicallyIntegrated Network (CIN)
- Obstetrics experience that is well-rounded and busy, as well as a strong overall women's health curriculum
- Embracing a diverse patient, residents and faculty population
- Part of the Hackensack Meridian Health System. U.S. News and World Report ranked Hackensack Meridian Health System as the number two hospital system in New Jersey.
- A strong professional track record for our graduates. Many have completed fellowships, become faculty, Program Directors, and state or national leaders in Family Medicine.
- A core residency within the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine. All residency faculty have clinical teaching appointments at the medical school and many facilitate classes at the medical school.
Our excellent location:
Mountainside Medical Center is located in Montclair, NJ and our Family Medicine Center is in Verona, about 2.5 miles away. Montclair is just 12 miles (19 km) from New York City with many excellent views of the NYC skyline and access to all the city has to offer by mass transit or car.
Montclair has been called “a cultural oasis” by New York magazine and identified as one of NYC’s best suburbs because it offers all of the benefits of suburbia coupled with desirable, diverse local activities and convenient city access. The population of Montclair is about 38,000 but despite its relatively small size, it has many art venues, theatres and award-winning restaurants.
There is an art museum in town, along with many galleries. Local theaters show independent and foreign films throughout the year in addition to Hollywood blockbusters. Since its debut in 2011, an annual Montclair Film Festival (sponsored in part by Hackensack Meridian Health Mountainside Medical Center ) has become extremely successful, drawing renowned filmmakers and stars to discuss their craft. There are also several local venues for plays, musicals and concerts. One of which, Montclair State University hosts events that are open to the public.
Montclair is unique in its desirability to both single and young families. In fact, most Mountainside Medical Center residents do remain in the Northern New Jersey area after graduation – an indicator of the quality of life they find here.